Fashion Around The World - Stephanie Masuwa (Zambia)
It feels like it's been a while since we had the first Fashion Around The World post, although it was only last month we started this series. When I concluded this interview with Steph, I just couldn't wait to share! Especially as I found myself laughing so hard at her response to what she'd never ever be caught wearing!
Curiosity lead me to Steph, as I often saw her blog link on a few blogs I visited. Finally one day, I decided to check it out - and was welcomed into Steph's world of fashion - which anyone would clearly see!
I've been following her for a while now, and whether it's a super chilly winter season or a casual sunny summer day, Steph appears to always have her A game on! Hopefully after this interview, some of her magic will rub off on me.
Steph is Zambian and lived in the southern African country for most of her life, relocating to the UK nine years ago. She's an Economics student currently on a 1 year placement working as a business analyst! In her words "I used to hate looking at myself during my puberty stage due to the horrible pimples I used to have... Now I can't stop taking selfies of myself both with and without makeup!
I speak to Steph about her fashion & style and of course about Zambia! Plus I really almost knocked my head on the wall and hid my face in shame when she shared the reasons we should visit Zambia - like how could I forget that it's home to a wonder of the world.
Ok no more spills, enjoy the interview!
For someone who has never heard of Zambia, what three things would you say to convince them to take a trip there?
- Zambia is the home to the Victoria falls, one of the 7 wonders of the world. South Lwanga National park is perfect if you are a lover of nature . Zambia is full of culture with 72 languages and traditional ceremonies such as the kuomboka celebrated by my tribe, Lozi.
Tell us the Zambian capital, currency & one fun fact about the country?
- Zambian capital is Lusaka. Our currency is Zambian Kwacha . Zambia is a landlocked country.
If I were relocating to the UK from Zambia, what three fashion items are must haves?
- A long coat is a must have because the cold is always a shock if you are not familiar with it.
- An umbrella - (preferably a small cute one that you can stuff in your bag ), because the weather is unpredictable.
- A pair of converses as they are not only practical but perfect for an everyday look through winter all the way to summer.
Earliest memory when you fell in love with fashion?
- Probably when I started watching more YouTube videos. I remember Jenny Jenkin's look books used to be my fave.
3 words to describe the fashion scene like in Zambia? And, what shocks/ differences did you experience when you moved?
- Vibrant, Evolving and Diverse. Hmmmm, I would say probably wearing skimpy shorts was a shock to me because back in Zambia, it is frowned upon to dress in such a manner with your legs on display.
One fashion faux par you've committed!
- Too much animal print ! I looked like a leopard.
Complete this. I won't ever be caught wearing ________
- Crocs! NEVER. I can't stand them ugly things!
The 4 seasons in the UK largely influence the fashion - what's your fave and why?
- Summer. Mainly because I am a summer baby and been living in warm climate for most of my life. I also get to wear more colour and dresses instead of jeans day in day out.
What celebrity do you think you could swap wardrobes with & no one would tell the difference.
- That's a tough one. But I reckon Olivia Palermo because many of the times she wears pieces from Zara and I am a sucker for Zara pieces.
If you could only wear one outfit for the rest of your life? What will it be?
- Comfy skinny jeans, a white button down shirt and a pair of converse with a cute bag.
3 hacks to look stylish?
- If in doubt wear black.
- Buy statement pieces as you can style them in multiple ways.
- Know your shape and buy things that compliment your figure.
Heels or Flats?
- That's a tough one. For style I would say heels but if I am being practical, I would choose flats.
What's the best fashion item you've got for a man and who was it for?
- A pair of velvet loafers, for my boyfriend.
Favourite movie you can watch over and over just for the Fashion/Costume?
- Sex and the City 2
Sunglasses, Perfumes or Earrings. One has to go. Which?
- Probably earrings. I am not big on them to be honest. 99% of the time I am wearing studs.
3 Luxury bags on your wishlist?
- Chloe drew small leather textured bag the LV Never full GM bag and the Micheal Kors Tote bag
Favourite inspiring quote about fashion / style!
- Fashion comes and goes but style is what you make of it.
Finally, one Style icon from Zambia we should all check out!
- Lulu Hangala Woods. She is phenomenal.
Well, well. Did anyone laugh so hard at the crocs response? Some people love them so much. But I guess they are kind of ugly. I hope you enjoyed this, don't forget to share your thoughts & leave a comment too!
Follow Steph's blog at www.stephylately.com and her Instagram @stephylately!
pS: Don't forget to let me know of fashion / style lovers in or from different parts of the world that we could feature on here!