I put the 'Famous' in inverted commas, so you already know I didn't really get Famous, not like Celebrity kind famous.
Anyway I was in bed with a flu and sore throat on Saturday night, (obviously gotten from someone I share a bed with - side eye to you) and so I really couldn't do much.
Don't ask me how, but I knew that two Septrin tablets was all I needed to feel better. Too bad I can't get those in the UK over the counter. So I settled for second best, Twinings Lemon and Ginger Tea, with a roll of tissue as my companion.
I remembered it was Mother's Day on 6th of March. Actually I didn't just remember. It's been in our faces since the 15th of February. Here's the trend: By the first week in January, all the stores have their Christmas cards down and Valentine cards (ti)* take over. By the 15th of February, Mothers day cards begin to appear. Consumerism? Story for another day.
As it is also International Women's Day on the 8th of March, I decided to attempt a mixed post on these so I won't have to bore my male readers with two women related (hit)* posts back to back!
I started writing and just the Mothers Day post on its own was getting rather long! Brevity is really not my forte.
I was about to publish it on the blog, when a 'crazy' thought occurred to me. 'What if you sent this to BN to be published?' That thought had barely taken root, when that other voice crept in 'BN? Like same BN? Bella Naija... arguable Nigeria's foremost all-in-one entertainment platform...Why would they even publish your article? And even if they would, you're giving barely 12 hours notice'
With this new found confidence I have, I dug up their contact email and emailed the team immediately. And got a response in five minutes.
I really should learn how to dance. Because how I felt at that point deserved a 'Shoki'* or a 'Nae Nae'
So really that's how my post got featured on there. If you haven't read it, you can do so HERE. Special shout out to all the people who found my blog via this post. Thank you for taking the time to read.
I think my 2016 theme is #DoItAfraid. Whatever your plans are for the coming week, just do it. The worst you'll get is a No!, and life goes on. Not meaning to be in your face dropping all them motivational speeches, but we really do lose 100% of the shots we don't take.
Just because it's still Mothers Day somewhere (at the time of typing this post, and more so because the Americans have not celebrated theirs yet), I've listed below my best 'Mother' Quotes. For someone who can't be concise and hates summarising, I really love quotes. Brief poignant quotes.
Happy Mothers Day to all our amazing mothers out there - biological and otherwise.
I can't even imagine how I'll be as a Mother!... Sometimes I feel I can't even take care of myself. But I guess that's the magical beauty of it.
How did you guys spend your Mothers Day? Anything exciting?
pS: Apologies if you didn't understand the asterisked words above. The first two relate to a Nigerian joke. As for Shoki, it's a Nigerian dance step. On her recent trip to Nigeria, Ciara danced the 'Shoki' and bursted some other Nigerian moves. Watch HERE.
ppS: I know I'm all into this new confidence thing, but one thing I have not been able to find the confidence to do is typing KFB (Kindly follow back) on people's Instagram posts. If I want to connect with people, I send them a direct message. Do you guys use KFB?
- God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers - Jewish Proverb
- Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved - Erich Fromm
- The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness - Honore de Balzac
- There's no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one - Jill Churchill
- Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother - Oprah Winfrey
- A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take - Cardinal Mermillod
- A mother is not a person to lean on but a person to make leaning unnecessary - Dorothy Canfield Fisher
- When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child - Sophia Loren
- My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it. - Mark Twain
- A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie - Tenneva Jordan
- Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother. - Lin Yutang
- The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. - Leo Fannu